Wednesday, December 9, 2009

You take your car to work, I'll take my board...

After hanging with Jess and Joel for a few days, I made my way back to Syd to say my good-byes to a few good friends, catch a few more waves, and catch a couple of planes home.

The journey back took about 24 hours with approximately 2 hours of sleep. The past week and a half have been a complete whirlwind and I'm just finding myself now trying to work through being back. Aside of all the emotional and psychological changes, the weather itself is ridiculous! I was getting accustomed to the sun shining until 8 or so, and really loving it. Wearing shorts and a t-shirt all day? Not so bad. It was definitely a luxury to have the extended summer.

Now that I'm home, that adventure is through, and I'm facing my reality. I am nothing but grateful for the experience. Yes, the trip has had it's repercussions and I've had to make some changes in my life but I know, when I'm 87 and sitting in that rocking chair on my porch I will have nothing but fond memories of my time down under. It cost me pretty much every cent I had (I am very articulate when it comes to budgeting) but I feel as if I didn't miss out on anything I wanted to do. I've been asked many many MANY times over if I wish I had stayed to work, or stayed longer, or if I could be travelling now, etc. And the truth is, no. If I had stayed and worked, it would have been a completely different trip. Because I knew I only had so much money, and so much time, I cherished every minute I had and tried to make the best of it. If I had stayed longer I would have had to work, and for me, I feel it was the right time for me to come home. Now, if I had all the money in the world and could travel for the rest of my days flying my family and friends to wherever I was? Yes. I'd like to choose that life.

It's had its challenges being back and realizing it's time to let go of Guelph and move forward, but I feel like I'm in a good place to do so. Travelling is always going to be on my to-do list, and I recognize what a luxury it is. I've now proven to myself and my loved ones, many times, that if there is something/ somewhere I want to go, I'll get there. It's all a matter of time.
As for right now, things are moving forward tickety-boo as my Big Jim likes to say, and I think I'll be alright to hang in Canada for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment