Friday, November 20, 2009

The Great Ocean Road!

The flight from Christchurch was easy as, but a wee bit emotional. I couldn’t get over how wonderful my time was there, and how quickly it had gone. The sadness quickly disappeared once I stepped off the plane into 31 degree… at 9:15 am. I made my way to the hostel fine and figured I’d make the most of the sun, grabbed my bathing suit and headed to the beach for the afternoon.

The next morning I set off on a 2-day tour of the Ocean Rd. We started at the end and worked backwards towards Melbourne which was great as we missed much of the day-tripping tourists. We started in Warnambool heading across to Port Campbell the first day. After a giant feed on Port Campbell, we headed to the 12 Apostle Rock stacks for the sunset, and to watch the “Little Penguins” (true name) come in from the water. Very cool. When we got back to the hostel, the group grabbed a couple of beers and headed down to the pier to watch a lightening storm roll across the ocean.

We had an early start the next morning heading back across to Torquay with many stops along the way. With a full day of beach, caves and coastal road, I was more than tired when we finally made it back to Melbourne.
My good friend Siobhan was kind enough to offer me a place to sleep for the night as she is off to Vancouver in a few days, and I’m off to Canberra. It’s been great to catch up with her before we say our good-byes.

As for today, I am very excited to be meeting up with another fantastic Canadian, Jess, and her lovely boyfriend before continuing up the coast.

Not long now until I’m back to Canadaland!

No comments:

Post a Comment